Thursday 24 February 2011

Yayla Çorbası - Yogurt Soup

Yogurt Soup, bowl of pickled chilies and a glass of Şalgam
1kg yogurt - plain
1 egg yolk
2 cups water
1 small handful rice
1tbs dried mint
1tbsp butter
1tsp tomato paste


Put the yogurt into a saucepan and whisk, add in the egg yolk and water, whisk again.  Place on stove and heat on medium heat (do not let it boil) add in the rice and stir.  Leave on medium heat until rice is cooked, 10 minutes or more depending on rice. Add in the mint and stir, you want to add enough so it has green flecks all through it.  After the rice is cooked take of heat.  In a small saucepan or frypan melt the butter, add the tomato paste and stir well.  Once they have combined pour on top of the soup.


You want to keep a close eye on this soup when you make it, stirring frequently.  You don't want it to boil and then curdle.  Some people add salt to it but I don't as I think the yogurt has enough zing without it.  Add a pinch if you want salt.  Do not be tempted like I was once to add more rice, you only want a small handful in it or you will end up with mint flavored rice pudding.


I first had this soup when my MIL sent it to us in a metal pail.  I was hesitant at first as I didn't want to be eating hot yogurt.  It is quite a comforting soup and is given to small children, pregnant women, the aged and infirmed.  Yayla means tablelands or plateau so as you can guess this is a soup they say has come from the mountains.

Yayla Çorbası - Yogurt Soup on Foodista

2 comments:

  1. This actually sounds really nice. The mint would be very yummy in it too. What's it like cold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certain memebers of my family can eat any soup hot or cold, I cant, it has to be hot. If you want a cold yogurt soup I would recomend Cacik(cucumber yogurt dish with mint in it) there is a runny kind like a soup and a thicker kind(more like your used to. Even though I put large amounts of mint in this dish I cant taste it very much but it gives a lovely flecked effect.

    ReplyDelete